Tuesday 7 October 2014

Battle for Leichtwasser Pass Part 2

This is part 2 of a battle between Warriors of Chaos and Vampires. Part 1 can be found here.

The pass up until this stage, has all been about movement, and careful planning. The following turns will not be as light!

Chaos Turn 3
This Chaos start with a few charges. The lack of  action grates at them, and they unleash there beastly howls and get stuck in. The trolls charge the skeletons with the Vampire Thrall in the unit. Really wasn't sure how that would go, but was hoping their regen save would help hold them up. The Gorebeast chariot decided to help out the Skullcrushers and get rid of the obvious bait trap. It wipes them out, and I choose to overrun, to get out of the Skullcrushers way, and put some pressure on the Crypt Fiends.
 
Magic again was completely ineffectual. Still at this stage, had not been able to do a single wound with it. The Terrorgheist still there on full wounds. I knew this wasn't going to be good. Into the combat, the vampire does 1 wound and the skeletons none. The trolls however go on a rampage and do enough wounds to help crumble the unit to less than half, as well as put a wound on the vampire thrall. Very unexpected!

Vampire Turn 3
Not to be out done, the Crypt Fiends and Dire Wolves charge my unit of Warriors, and the zombies move up to support. The Terrorgheist moves to eliminate the Gorebeast chariot before it inflicts some real pain. magic wise, I think he raised more skeletons and healed a wound on the vampire thrall. I think that was it for magic though. Shooting, the damned Terrorgheist does 4 wounds to my chariot, but it lives to threaten another day!
Close combat goes well for Chaos. The trolls kill everything but a skeleton champion. The Warriors unit, with the aid of the flaming banner do a few wounds to the Crypt Fiends and a few wounds to the Dire Wolves. I think they lost 1 Warrior in return. I win thus doing a few more wounds.

Chaos Turn 4
You'll notice the absence of the Gorebeast chariot. Well, it was left on 1 wound, so idecided to risk it and charge across the river into the side of the Crypt Fiends. Then I promptly roll a 1 for difficult terrain. The Terrorgeist now is behind my lines, out of sight (again) so I decided to take another risk (as it can get my anywhere now), and just move the Skull Crushers up to threaten his units (just like the Gorebeast).
Magic again does nothing, combat goes well. The skeleton champion gets torn apart, and my unit reforms to threaten the Crypt Fiends. The Warriors again chop down a few wounds suffering very little in return. I elect not to reform, to keep the frontage small. The Crypt Fiends fail their leadership to reform, getting more in.

Vampires Turn 4
The zombies reform to keep my trolls out of the action and potentially tarpitted for the rest of the game. Magic heals up some Crypt Fiends. Shotting, my friend rolls two 6's for the Terrorgheist scream, and in the second game in a row, my Skullcrushers are killed outright. Not looking good at all.
Chaos Turn 5

Not a lot I can do now. I have nothing to stop the Terrorgheist killing my units. The trolls are blocked by the zombies, which I highly doubt I will get through. So they just reform.
Magic again does nothing. Warriors knock some more wounds off the Crypt Fiends. The small frontage and the high resiliency of the Warriors ensures that they are winning, albeit slowly, this battle of attrition.

Vampire Turn 5
 The Terrorgheist fly's behind my lines and the zombies charge the trolls.
Magic happens, and the Master Necromancer finally gets off Hellish vigor.  I had bee stopping that for ages, as poison re-rolls is not nice. The Terrorgheist continues its rampage, rolls high and kills outright 5 Warriors. Close combat arrives, and the trolls obliterate a pile of zombies, but they are in no danger of loosing too many. The Warriors again do a few wounds against the Crypt Fiends, so there are only 2 left.

 Chaos Turn 6
Things are looking dire. Magic again, rears its fickle head and does nothing. The trolls wail on the zombies doing a host of damage (think they got rid of 20 or so models with kills and crumble). The Warriors start to struggle against the Crypt Fiends, due to diminished attacks. 

 Vampire Turn 6
The Terrorgheist, still not satisfied with itself, continues to be a pain in the rear and charges my Warriors in the rear. Magic, he gets off Hellish Vigor again. Shooting, another 5 Warriors are screamed to death. In close combat, the trolls kill another swathe of zombies, but not enough to kill the unit. The Warrior unit, unsurprisingly gets wiped out.

End game turns into a solid win for the Vampire Counts!


Final Thoughts.
I hate Terrorgheists. They really just wreck my day. I knew it was a threat from the begining, but my total lack of magic (not getting anything through) and its ability to fly, meant it became impossible to counter. With it on full wounds for the whole game, the screams just annihilated my best units with ease.

My other units did well, other than the Gorebeast chariot, but I just out that down to it not being painted. My Warriors held well, and the theory behind the flaming banner on them to eliminate the Warpflame special rule, of giving enemy units regen seems sound. The trolls did amazing, wrecking the vampire thrall, skeletons and probably the zombies if time allowed. I do like my trolls.

All in all, a great game, although before the next one, I need to think of a way to counter the Terrorgheist. That thing just ruins me!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment