Sunday, 31 August 2014

Ruined tower

Its been a very busy month, but I have finally got something of note to post. Considering most of my armies are painted, and the battle board is painted, it started to irk me that the terrain we were fighting over was the usual ghost grey of the unloved. So I set myself the job of painting some of it.

Here is a ruined watch tower, from GW though it might be OOP, I have no idea. Really cool piece that has seen action in every game we have played. So I thought to give it some of its former glory back and paint it. Here is how I went.

 I saw that the details within suggested it was a wizards tower or wizards outpost at some stage. So i decided to paint the ground relief of the winds of magic the colours they are. There is also a Tzeentch symbol half hidden in the bricked doorway hidden at the back.
 Lovely rusted gate. Also rusted all the metal holds on the side, with nice streaks of rust going down the stones.
 Applied some nice verdigris to the Sigmar symbol, first time I've used the GW technical paint.
 Can't be Warhammer without the sculls. They look good now, but were a pain to paint as always.
Did some OSL for the lit candles. Think it pulled off well.

There we have it! Some finished terrain for our games. Working on somehing different for Fantasy at the moment, and having a great time reading through Nagash. So many dead Special Characters, its amazing!

Till next time.


Monday, 11 August 2014

Hrothgar Dethfist

Hrothgar Dethfist is the Warboss of my Orc army. Key word, Orc army. Ages ago I posted up some of my Orc Big Un's, and have been chipping away at this monstrosity for ages. I've finally finished him off and can present. So far Hrothgar has been played on one battle where he got shot to death my Waywatcher arrows, but you have to expect that considering 'new model syndrome'. I'm hoping my next game with double giant, wyvern list will do a bit better, especially with this guy painted. Or maybe not.

Anyways, here he is.

 I decided to go with a red wyvern as opposed to a green one, just as its a little different, and I thought it might complement the army more considering my army at this stage has red armour. The skin is done in my usual method, a dark army green, black washed and then highlighted with a lighter camo green.

The blood on the axe is my usual method of Tamiya Clear Red acrylic mixed with a little black. Excellent paint to do blood effects. I know GW now have their own, by I have a big stock pile of Tamiya, and have yet to use 1/4 of a bottle. Great stuff.

 The wings took awhile with layered and washed bone colours, highlighting up to off white.
 The banner itself is molded on there this time, so was a little easier to paint. Very convenient that I stuck with the ogre face for my army motive!
The model in all its glory, and yet to reap some. Hopefully soon it think. The mushrooms I think were a nice touch, though in hindsight, I'm not a fan of the gold. Might redo that. Though there is plenty to paint for the time being without going back over things so I shall leave that for now.

Thank again for looking!